Members from BNI Chapters all across Sydney came together and had a blast playing some golf at Sydney’s Moore Park Golf Course – just minutes from the CBD. It was an amazing day of golf, clinics, networking, goody bags and prizes galore.
Have you ever dabbled in the game in the past? Or thought about playing golf but never quite got around to it? Here are the top 10 reasons you should consider taking up golf!
1. Anyone can play golf: Golfers come in all shapes and sizes. You don’t have to be particularly strong, tall, lean or fast to succeed. Golf champions come in every shape and size imaginable. It’s never too early or too late to start and unlike most other sports you can enjoy golf your entire life!
2. Golfers live longer: Research has shown that golfers live on average 5 years longer than their non-golfing counterparts. A Scandinavian study undertaken by the Karolinska Institute, based on data from 300,000 golfers summarised that golfers have a lower death rate regardless of sex, age or social group.
3. Golf is good for Business: There are 75 million people worldwide who play golf. When you look at the number of top CEOs, sports stars, movie stars, Presidents and entrepreneurs who are avid golfers, it shows the level of golf’s popularity to enhance your business networks or career.
4. Golf keeps you slim & trim: A round of golf can form a superb part of any physical fitness programme. A full, 18-hole round of golf involves a walk of around 6 kilometres (or 8 kilometres if you hit your ball in a zigzag and onto the next fairway!) Even on a flat course, this equates to expending around 1,500 calories or 13,000 steps every round. Along with the amount of walking involved, the golf swing is great for providing a full-body workout. Each full swing exercises arms, legs, back and abdomen, with numerous repetitions throughout the course of a round.
5. Golf keeps you mentally active: Golf is not just a physical game but a mental one. It calls for strategy, creativity and problem-solving, all of which keep your brain active. This is one of the critical ingredients in fighting off the ageing process.
6. Golf gives you quality time: Golf is quality time with your family, kids, friends, business colleagues or prospects. What better way to get to know a person or spend quality time away from the hustle and bustle of everyday life.
7. Commuting with nature: The birds, the bees, the flowers, and the breeze. The views, the wildlife, and the smell of fresh cut grass, just a few of the simple pleasures you will enjoy each and every time you play.
8. Creates new personal relationships: One of the great things about golf is that you can book a tee time and just show up and get a game with someone. Each time you go out to play golf you get the opportunity to meet three new people when you tee it up. It is the perfect networking environment for you to meet new people, build friendships and personal relationships.
9. Golf is a great Equaliser: Golf is the only sport that allows people of different ability levels to play together, in the same competition and still enjoy their time together. Golf is a great equaliser. The handicapping system brings together people of different ages, skill levels, gender, and backgrounds to fairly compete against each other and the course.
10. The camaraderie of the 19th hole: After each round of golf, the 19th hole provides the perfect opportunity to relax, unwind and enjoy a drink. You can solve the world’s problems and take your newly enhanced relationships to the next level. Playing golf is a great social activity and loads of fun!
How good is golf?